bulge n : something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from a form [syn: bump, hump, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence]
2 bulge out; form a bulge outward, or be so full as to appear to bulge [syn: bag]
4 cause to bulge or swell outwards [syn: bulk]
- Something sticking out from a surface.
- The bulge on the dog's neck indicated there was something wrong.
- Finnish: pullistuma, kohouma
- Italian: sporgenza , protuberanza
- Japanese: 出っ張り (でっぱり, deppari)
- Korean: 부루퉁이 (burutungI), 뾰루지 (ppyoruji), 혹 (hog, hok)
- Portuguese: protuberância, saliência
- Spanish: bulto , abultamiento
- To stick out from (a surface).
- The submarine bulged because of the enormous air pressure inside.
- Finnish: pullottaa
A bulge is something which sticks out from a surface.
Bulge may also refer to:
- Bulge (astronomy), a tightly packed group of stars at the center of a spiral galaxy
- Equatorial bulge, a bulge around the equator of a planet due to rapid rotation
- Polar bulge, a bulge in a planet or moon at its poles, distorting it into a prolate spheroid
- Tidal bulge, a bulge of land or water on a planet created by the pull of another object in orbit
In World War II:
- Battle of the Bulge, a major German offensive on the Western front near the end of 1944 and into early 1945.
advantage, allowance, bag, balloon, beetle, belly, belly out, bilge, billow, blain, bleb, blister, blob, boss, bouge, bow, bubble, bug, bulb, bulla, bump, bunch, burl, button, cahot, chine, clump, coign of vantage, condyle, convex, deadwood, dilate, distend, dowel, drop, ear, edge, expand, flange, flap, flying start, gall, gnarl, goggle, handicap, handle, head start, hill, hump, hunch, inside track, jog, joggle, jump, jut, knob, knot, knur, knurl, lip, loop, lump, mole, mountain, nevus, nub, nubbin, nubble, odds, overhand, overhang, papilloma, peg, poke, pooch, pop, pouch, pout, project, projection, protrude, protrusion, protuberance, protuberate, rib, ridge, ring, round out, running start, shoulder, something extra, something in reserve, spine, stand out, start, stick out, stud, style, swell, swell out, swelling, tab, tubercle, tubercule, upper hand, vantage, vantage ground, vantage point, verruca, vesicle, wale, wart, welt, whip hand